Monday, July 27, 2009

Balsa Banana bites the dust

Went for a fly at the top of the Mount today. It was a beautiful sunny day with a nice 5 - 10kts NW and nice smooth lift. Had a really nice fly with the Balsa Banana - a pod and boom style sailplane with my balsa wing.

Made two good landings and then on my third fly all these bloody paraponters turned up so I decided to let them have the slope to themselves. Unfortunately in my rush to land I got it all horribly wrong, and with an audience of maybe a dozen people I lost it over the back of the crest into the turbulent zone - rotor country - where no sloper should be on landing approach.



Of course I fought it tooth and nail - whipped off the brakes to attempt flying out but silly me still on high rates which I haven't applied any expo (exponential programming of the rate of aileron travel that softens the midpoint of the control stick) I found myself overcorrecting from one extreme to the other (or was it the vicious rotors!) until it ploughed into the hard rocky ground - with a wicked cartwheel for good measure :-(

As you can see from the pic, it snapped the tail boom clean off. Sigh. More repairs required.

On a brighter note, the Su27 Flanker jet is nearing completion and will soon be ready for a maiden. Tally ho for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment