Friday, November 30, 2012

Into the South Island

A fair bit has happened since I was at Ocean Beach, Havelock North. Travelled down to Masterton and stayed with Franky for a few days. She helped me out with a flat tyre (had to buy a new jack in Masterton)then took me out to Castlepoint to see the light house and a walk up around behind the beach.
From there it was off to explore Lake Wairarapa and maybe a chance to fly off the southern coastline. But no such luck, the wind was fearsome, but no good slope was accessible from where I was (another spot named Ocean Beach). I did get a photo looking over towards the coast out towards Cape Palliser with great looking white cliffs. And a morning pic of sunrise over Lake Wairarapa.
The next day I woke up in the South Island - it's been 34 years since I was here under my own steam, as it were. First job was to drop off a bag of lead-head nails for Franky's flatmate Rodger at his property at Linkwater on the Great Charlotte Sound Road. He allowed me to camp on his place at Cullenville Road - site of an old goldmining town in the 1890's. So I dragged out the gold pan and tried my luck in the river - no gold came leaping out of the pan at me, but I have saved some samples for closer inspection later. Also tramped up the valley along the old miners trail and came across an old firplace - that's my pan on the mantlepiece.
Have also been to the Rimutaka Incline and Fells engine museumn in Featherston, and Stonehenge, Carterton. Am posting this from the Blenheim library before heading south.

No comments:

Post a Comment