Saturday, January 19, 2013

Moeraki

Well this place is of course famous for the spherical boulders on the beach, but I was very disappointed to see how few there were. Maybe a dozen or more... quite pitiful when I expected a whole coastline of these things.
Moeraki, the township is a sleepy little fishing village with a history that goes way back to the first whalers in 1838. As with most of the South Island towns, I've noticed they really value their history and their are memorials everywhere. Out at the end of the peninsula is this fabulous restaurant/bar very much in the spirit of the town, er... fishing.
And just over the back of the hill, whilst I was looking for likely places to launch a slopesoarer, I came across this wonderful lighthouse at Kapiti Point. No longer manned, it now sports an LED bulb for the light source, but isn't it nice to see they have left the whole thing intact, right down to the original lens in the beacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment