Monday, January 28, 2013

Taiaroa Head - Otago Peninsula

Tairoa Head - This part of the country was all new to me - and as Franky said, this place was awesome. Huge seacliffs, ferocious seas, galeforce wind, a nice lighthouse, nesting seabirds and albatross flying over head. I was a bit miffed at the price to get in and see the underground WW2 defences, but managed to wangle my way into the souvenir shop and took a picture of the model of the disappearing gun. The actual gun is still in place and I'm vowing to come back again one day with a sackfull of money and see it.
The entrance at the visitor centre had this great metal motif on the side.
The lighthouse was fairly small (well, short really) but still looked great. Of course there was no access to it but it still looked great from a distance and thanks to the zoom lens and some cropping I got this shot.
And this baby was flying around overhead. Wow, decent sized bird. Must be nearly 2m wingspan.

No comments:

Post a Comment