Sunday, February 17, 2013

Central Otago

Ok I'm still having some issues regarding the layout so this post is being made with a different browser. Let's see how Firefox goes...

Motored down to Alexandra and after a quick stop to see the cricket ground at Molynieux Park, I managed to find my way to this slope site overlooking Alexandra. The flying was pretty lumpy and rough  probably due to thermal turbulence off the town and the fluted slope face. (see rocky humps at top of slope!) But the view was superb.



Here's the old town of Clyde. The mainstreet has been preserved in that yesteryear look.


And of course, the Clyde Dam is nearby - quite a spectacular site at the end of Lake Dunstan


Next day I went back to Cromwell to go goldpanning in the Bannockburn sluicing area. You can see from this pic just how much sluicing went on. The Kawarau River can't be seen but it is between the sluicings and the belt of trees in a bit of a gorge.

Parked overnight at a lovely spot on the lakeside just upstream of the dam along with a dozen or so other vanners. Got woken in the morning at sparrow-fart by the local rowing skiffs being launched for their early training - dedication.


                                                         Here's Lake Dunstan -


I decided at this point to make a run for it from Cromwell all the way back up to Tekapo - a drive of 200km - instead of heading off to the West Coast - just so I could catch some astonomy at Mt John observatory while the moon wasn't too bright. It was a long day's drive in the old girl, but with frquent stops I made it ok.
Here's the Lindis Pass along the way...


And made it to Tekapo for this pic from Mt John overlooking the town. The lake colour is from suspended solids in glacial meltwater that feeds the lake. Aquamarine!






That night the sky was beautiful and clear and it vindicated my rushed trip north. The Milky Way was bursting out all over the sky and my binoculars were pressed into use looking at globular clusters of 47 Tuc and Omega Centauri, and some fabulous open clusters that I hadn't seen before - especially one looking northwards that I must find the name of. Also a nice open cluster at the bottom of the Diamond Cross which I hadn't seen before. I tried a bit of astro photography with the Nikon, but I really haven't got the gear that is needed to pull it off.

Only problem now is that I have to go all the way back to Wanaka to get to the West Coast, but I think it was worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment