Thursday, February 14, 2013

Te Anau - Milford

From Manapouri to Milford there is absoloutely no freedom camping allowed. So I had to stay at the nearest DOC camp - 25km past Te Anau!!! Madness. I met a tourist couple who were fined the $200 so I didn't try it on. Here's a nice shot of Lake Manapouri anyway. For some reason, this post got all screwed up and I can't fix it :-( And Te Anau is just up the road - all very tourist oriented and no shortage of them too. From Te Anau to Milford is a 240km round trip with no fuel available on the way. For this reason I decided to park-up at my chosen DOC Camp and take a bus trip/combined cruise on the sound instead of driving myself. This turned out to be a brilliant way to see everything, especially the different sights and tracks along the Milford road which, in my view were better than the Sound itself. True! I thought Mitre Peak would have been higher than it appears for some reason. Here's the Mirror Lake. And a lovely big field of tussock ... The Chasm, was just a short walk off the Milford road where the Cleddau River cuts down through a hole in the rock. Lake Te Anau... And the multi-coloured stones along the water's edge of the lake...

No comments:

Post a Comment