Friday, February 22, 2013

Glaciers

First time for me at a glacier - Fox Glacier was an impressive sight. You could hear the ice cracking at the terminus, but I didn't see any big lumps fall away. It moves about half a metre each day.





On the way back out I came across this beautiful blue pool with green algae growing in it.





Between Fox and Franz Josef I managed to get a snap of Mt Cook....




And on to Franz Josef - wasn't able to get so close to this one, and a long walk in the hot sun from the carpark. I priced helicopter flights $135 for 17minutes, or $400 for a two hour walk on the glacier. The choppers do brisk business here - counted 5 in the air at one time and always one overhead. Very expensive place - everything has lots of freight charge to get here, so diesel is $1.85 per litre compared with $1.49 in Waimate, and going to the hotpools here will set you back $23!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment